Welcome Center Manager
Part-Time Hourly Position
Primary Office Location is Utica, Illinois
Position: Welcome Center & Illinois Made Gift Shoppe Manager
Summary: Promote the I&M Canal Towns, The First Hundred Miles of Route 66, and Starved Rock Country through a welcome center (visitors center) with an expanded gift shop. The Manager understands and promotes the region as a visitor destination to motorcoach groups, and leisure travel market segments with the primary purpose to increase overnight stays. Manage a team of tourism coordinators to deliver exceptional service. Research, stock, report, and replenish appropriate inventory for the Welcome Center and Gift Shoppe. In addition, service current members and clients regarding membership, partner packages, advertising and co-op opportunities. Assist with the marketing (planning) and advertising (print, digital and social) of the Welcome Center’s retail component.
Supervision: Welcome Center Manager directly reports to the President/CEO. This position may hire, supervise and evaluate assigned staff including Tourism Coordinators and student interns.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Commitment to quality visitor experience with proven customer service and business etiquette practices
• Excellent personal communication skills, both written and verbal
• Demonstrate an ability to create and foster tourism industry partnerships
• Positive “can do” team attitude
• Strong knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Office, CRM system experience (Simpleview), and retail operations (Square)
• Must have a clean driving record, valid driver’s license and appropriate insurance
• Knowledge of the Heritage Corridor service area (six counties)
• Willingness to work weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
• Understanding of the retail sales process – from planning and merchandising to execution and service to reporting and evaluation
• Attention to detail and commitment to exceeding visitor expectations
• Ability to lift supplies and equipment (approximately up to 50 pounds) when needed.
Brand Ambassador and Product Knowledge
• Become knowledgeable of the Heritage Corridor CVB brand and “products” (The First Hundred Miles of Illinois Route 66; Starved Rock Country, and I&M Canal Towns) designed to inspire and nurture the visitor experience.
• Research and select appropriate retail sales inventory from CVB members/partners and select Illinois makers and/or artisans.
• Provide exceptional visitor service and enthusiastically create an unforgettable experience through personal interactions with visitors.
• Fulfill visitor inquires – mail and distribute visitor guides and all information inquires received through mail, telephone, email, reader service, social media and other methods.
Responsibility for Business Results
• Contribute to the success of the Welcome Center by driving business metrics.
• Ability to persuade and influence action from the visitors by understanding their needs and then articulating produce benefits, options in our products and services, value proposition and (the store) solutions to meet those needs.
• Execute product recommendations, visual merchandising, display set-ups, cash/point of sale handling, and reporting.
• Assist in membership renewals, partner package upgrades, proposals, benefit statements, billing statements and follow-up.
• Maintain CVB databases including CRM/Simpleview and retail sales/Square.
Friendship and Collaboration
• Build relationships based on collaboration, trust, dignity and respect to create a great place to work that is reflected by the exceptional visitor experience.
• Work together to create continuous improvement for the entire team.
• Attend community events and industry meetings to promote and community CVB services. Assist with the coordination and staffing of select festivals and events.
Punctuality and Integrity
• Comply with store policies and adhere to attendance policies.
• Practice honesty and fairness in actions and daily interactions with team members and visitors.
Initiatives and Judgement
• Participate and/or initiate special duties and projects to enhance operational efficiency and improve the visitors’ experience
• Other duties as assigned for success of the organization.
• Opportunity to learn, develop, and take charge of career
• Respected and valued team member
• Opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact visitors experience
• Flexible schedule with competitive salary