Immediate Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer/Sr. Vice President
Employment Status: Full time – Non-Exempt
Contribution to the Mission Statement: The Bookkeeper will provide both operational and programmatic support to the organization. The bookkeeper supports the accounting functions for the organization and reconciling accounting activity and posting GL transactions. The bookkeeper directly assists the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) on supporting the accounting functions for the Bank.
Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- Prepare and post journal entries to record financial activity as appropriate.
- Maintains historical records by filing documents.
- Reconcile accounting activity of the bank.
- Post and process EFTPS payments and assist in filing annual report.
- Reconcile cash accounts of the bank and correspondent accounts (i.e. Federal Home Loan Bank, Bankers Bank and Fed accounts).
- Assist CFO and Sr. accountant in preparing queries and reports needed to manage and monitor operational and financial activity.
- Support the maintenance and development of accounting procedures and processes.
- Develop procedures to improve efficiency.
- Support the process of closing the books at month-end and preparation of monthly financial statement reports.
- Support the maintenance of the general ledger and assist month-end/year-end close processes.
- Completes projects by coordinating resources and timetables with user departments and vendors.
- Verifies application results by reviewing and balancing key reports.
- Gather information and assist in the support of the preparation of our tax returns and any tax issues.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
- Assist CFO and Sr. accountant in the preparation of data for the issuance of financial information and regulatory filings, specifically, Quarterly Call Report, press release, federal reserve filings and annual report.
- Manage commitments, uphold organizational values, mission and vision statements with a high level of professionalism and accept responsibility for own actions.
- Comply with and maintain current knowledge of all department, company and state or federal policies, procedures and regulations and complete all necessary documentation accurately and efficiently
- Appropriately protect the confidentiality, security and integrity of the Bank’s systems and information as well as current and/or potential customer’s information
- Various other duties assigned as they relate to the Bank’s objectives and related functions and responsibilities of the position
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Excellent communication skills, attentiveness, information retention, tact and diplomacy in dealing with employees and other departments.
- An understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting principles.
- Ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records.
- High degree of accuracy with attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent data entry skills and a knowledge of numbers.
- Ability to work various hours; some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Competence with computers, Bank programs, windows, Microsoft specifically excel spreadsheets, telephone, copy machine and other office machinery.
- High level and focused work ethic.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment & be self-confident.
- Adapt to and thrive on changes with a sense of urgency.
- Be sensitive to Bank needs, customer and employee goodwill, and the public image.
- Be familiar with accounting processes and general ledger implications and the roles and responsibilities relating to the position from each department of the Bank.
- General understanding of banking principles and processes.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
Benefits along the way...
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401K retirement plan with employer match
- Opportunities to Support Local Charitable Organization
- Continuing Education Benefits
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Incentive Opportunities
- Length of Service Awards
- Paid Holiday, Birthday, Vacation, and Sick Days Available
- Health Plan Options Available, Including Family Vision and Dental Plans
- Salary is commensurate with training and experience